- Nearly 50 million Americans are disabled, and two-thirds of these individuals are affected by a severe disability. Of those 50 million, only 18 million are employed.
- Over a billion people, about 15% of the world's population, have some form of disability.
- Between 110 million and 190 million adults have significant difficulties in functioning.
- Rates of disability are increasing due to population ageing and increases in chronic health conditions, among other causes.
- People with disabilities have less access to health care services and therefore experience unmet health care needs.
- Over 50% of complaints regarding discrimination against fair housing laws are filed by those living with a disability.